Monday 5 May 2014

Kenya daily post

KENYAN STUDENT EXPELLED FOR TARNISHING SCHOOL NAME ONLINE

CYPRIAN NYAKUNDI,who is famous on twitter and popularly known as cnyakundi has been expelled from meru university for exposing sexual harrasment in the institution.
Here is his side of story.

"I always like speaking out whenever
there is a problem in society and
this has not gone down very well
especially with the authority of
Meru University . I joined Meru
University in 2011 to pursue
Actuarial Science as  a Jab student .
My former high school is St Mary’s
School Yala. I like using social
media and whenever there is a
problem, I usually raise it and hear
people’s views. Sincerely speaking
social media is a great avenue for
raising issues and even getting
solutions to our dynamically
changing society .
After short vacation in August
2012, I got a call from the office
of the dean, the secretary told me
that I was required to attend a
disciplinary meeting for apparently
“Tarnishing the image of the
university via social media “After
attending the disciplinary meeting I
was warned and suspended for one
academic year because I had raised
the following issues
1) The university lacks enough
chairs
2) The Cafeteria is too small hence
students scramble for food
3) The library was not updated with
modern books
4) The road was dusty and
impassable
I was suspended for one academic
year for raising these issues. Like a
real citizen I spent the whole
academic year at home. On May
2013 my suspension was over and I
came back to school only to be told
to go home for half an academic
year because my class was not in
session. I came back in September
and proceeded with my studies.
Then within the semester a lady
approached me and told me that
she had been sexually harassed by
a very senior officer within the
institution. I decided to raise the
case on my blog and Twitter and
Facebook accounts, the case was
condemned by many Kenyans and
even students.
While on long holiday, I was called
by the school to attend a
disciplinary meeting . The letter was
specific ‘’ my relationship with the
media and writing about anything
happening in the school without
the Vice Chancellor’s approval
“  The letter insists that I must get
approval from the VC before
complaining or posting anything on
social media. The school monitors
all my social media accounts and
they have printed all my updates
and bound them into a book.
After the disciplinary meeting,   The
university has decided to expel
me . The letter states that ‘’ I am
tarnishing the image of the
university via social media “ I am
speechless and not a happy man. I
have really been frustrated by the
university and I personally have
nothing against the VC or the DVC.
I am just expressing myself on
social media…Many people do it,
other universities do it and
students are not victimized.
Institutions should accept criticism
just as they accept praise .
I don’t even know what to do. My
education being stopped for
condemning a sexual harassment
case is not right in the new Kenya.
I have really seen a lot of injustice
and I would not like anyone to go
through what I have gone through.
It has been painful and very
heartbreaking ."

Kenya daily post

About Kenya daily post -

Author Description here.. Nulla sagittis convallis. Curabitur consequat. Quisque metus enim, venenatis fermentum, mollis in, porta et, nibh. Duis vulputate elit in elit. Mauris dictum libero id justo.

Subscribe to this Blog via Email :